How much chocolate can a dog eat without getting sick?

Mine got some from the trash but she is all right. She is about 50 pounds, if that helps.
 
Rating: Not rated yet. Not rated. Fun/Social Knowledge
Recategorize Question
Please select the category that you think this question belongs in:
Your rating:
 

4 Answers

Best Rated Answer:
 
9,849 IKU
Posted on Jun. 7th, 2008

It depends on which kind of chocolate, some chocolates have higher levels of theobromine than others. It takes about 100/150 mg/kg of theobromine to have a serious reaction.

Here are the toxicity levels for each kind:

1 ounce per 1 pound of body weight for Milk chocolate
1 ounce per 3 pounds of body weight for Semisweet chocolate
1 ounce per 9 pounds of body weight for Baker's chocolate.

Baker's chocolate is the worst and if your dog consumes much of this kind you should seek a vet's advice ASAP.

Stats from:
http://www.talktothevet.com/ARTICLES/DOGS/chocolatetoxic.HTM

Your Rating:
This answer has not been rated yet. This answer has been rated 1 time. This answer has been rated 7 times.
Average Rating:

 
lightbulb
Does the information on this page help you find what you were looking for?
Yes No
 
114 IKU
Posted on Jun. 5th, 2008

it depends on the size of the dog... a small consumption of chocolate (in porportion to their body weight) wont hurt the dog, but she might get a little sick. My dog has eaten about 3 or 4 chocolate covered cherries at once and all that she did was throw up. And shes under 15 pounds. If youre concerned just call your vet

Your Rating:
This answer has not been rated yet. This answer has been rated 1 time. This answer has been rated 10 times.
Average Rating:

 
114 IKU
Posted on Jun. 5th, 2008

But it doesnt mean its ok to just give your dog small amounts of chocolate...

Your Rating:
This answer has not been rated yet. This answer has been rated 1 time. This answer has been rated 7 times.
Average Rating:

 
9,042 IKU
Posted on Jun. 5th, 2008

Rather than experimenting, to see how much it takes to kill different dogs, the safest amount is NONE

Chocolate is Poisonous to dogs, and it is proven so i recommend giving no chocolate at all to your dog.

If it wasn't much chocolate.. maybe she will be ok, but you should call a vet

Your Rating:
This answer has not been rated yet. This answer has been rated 1 time. This answer has been rated 10 times.
Average Rating:

Provide Your Own Answer


Please don't plagiarize! If you are quoting someone, please include a link to the source in your answer.


Join akatoo or Sign In to Post Your Answer


Email:
Choose a Username:
Choose a Password:
Terms of Use Privacy Policy

Email:
Password:

Enter the characters you see to complete your post:
captcha


 

Ask A Question